Large Wins For Louisville, Florida Spotlight Weekend In Faculty Baseball (Off The Bat)
The third weekend of the season all the time delivers loads of thrilling motion because of a heavy slate of tournaments and rivalry collection. This 12 months was no completely different with motion on the Shriners Hospitals for Kids Faculty Basic and within the Sunshine State highlighting the weekend.
Listed below are 17 ideas on the weekend that was round school baseball.
1. Louisville got here into the season because the ACC favorites, as picked by each the convention coaches’ ballot and Baseball America. However by means of two weeks of the season, the Cardinals hadn’t executed a lot to alter the thoughts of any skeptics. They hadn’t performed poorly; they simply had gone 7-1 at dwelling towards a mushy schedule.
That modified in a giant method over the weekend on the Shriners Hospitals for Kids Faculty Basic at Minute Maid Park in Houston. Louisville drubbed Texas A&M, 14-5, on Friday in a rematch of final 12 months’s Faculty Station Tremendous Regional. It then edged TCU, 3-2, Saturday and accomplished the weekend with a 10-0 victory in seven innings Sunday towards Michigan. All of it amounted to an announcement weekend for the Cardinals.
Louisville excelled in all aspects of the sport. It pounded out 37 runs on 37 hits and made only one error on the weekend, however maybe its most spectacular work got here on the mound. The Cardinals rotation of Ryan Hawks, Greg Farone and Carson Liggett mixed to carry opponents to at least one run on 5 hits in 20 innings. Hawks struck out eight batters and scattered two hits and 4 walks in six scoreless innings towards A&M. Farone struck out 9 batters and gave up one run in seven innings towards TCU and Liggett threw a seven-inning, one-hit shutout towards Michigan.
Hawks and Liggett have been sturdy all through the season at both finish of the rotation. Farone, a junior school switch, made his beginning debut for Louisville on Saturday after popping out of the bullpen within the first two weeks. Listed at 6-foot-6, the lefthander makes for a troublesome matchup, and he stymied the Horned Frogs along with his fastball-curveball mixture.
Louisville has the bullpen depth to account for Farone shifting into the rotation and it was fourth-year junior lefthander Tate Kuehner who coach Dan McDonnell known as out of the bullpen for a two-inning save towards TCU. Veterans Alex Galvan and Evan Webster are off to sturdy begins and freshman Tucker Biven has proven thrilling upside.
The Cardinals’ offense is flying excessive early this season, averaging 8.64 runs per recreation, with catcher Jack Payton (.463/.531/.878, 4 HR) and shortstop Christian Knapczyk (.372/.481/.488, 3 SB) main the way in which. They’re fielding .981 as a workforce. If Louisville can be going to pitch at a excessive degree, particularly within the rotation, it seems like an entire workforce. That was all the time the Cardinals’ ceiling, however to see them already hitting these highs makes it even simpler to think about them enjoying deep into June.
2. Louisville made a transparent assertion at Minute Maid Park. TCU had a stable weekend, going 2-1 with shutouts of Michigan (7-0) and Rice (6-0) sandwiched round a one-run loss to Louisville. Rice landed a 3-2 upset Friday of Texas Tech earlier than getting blown out the remainder of the weekend, dropping to A&M and TCU by a mixed rating of 20-1. Michigan struggled, getting outscored 26-7 in three losses.
Figuring out what to make of the weekends A&M and Texas Tech produced is far tougher to discern. The Aggies went 2-1 on the weekend, bouncing again from their powerful loss Friday to Louisville to on Saturday rout Rice after which edge previous Texas Tech, 4-2, in 16 innings. Was that the get-right weekend A&M (7-4) wanted after dropping a house collection to Portland final week or are its offensive struggles nonetheless a priority? In 16 innings towards the Pink Raiders, the Aggies walked 16 occasions, however collected simply seven hits (none for additional bases) and went 1-for-17 with runners in scoring place. In opposition to Louisville, A&M did rating 5 runs, however all of them got here after the Cardinals had taken a 14-0 lead and solely served to keep away from getting run-ruled.
In the meantime, Texas Tech was 10-0 going into the weekend. It was held to 4 hits by Rice in Friday’s opener, as Parker Smith stymied the Pink Raiders for six innings and Justin Lengthy got here out of the bullpen to complete them off. Tech beat Michigan, 10-7, on Saturday after which discovered itself in a dogfight with A&M on Sunday. The Pink Raiders (11-2) couldn’t maintain a 2-1 lead going into the ninth after which left the bases loaded in each the ninth and tenth innings, lacking a chance to stroll off with a win.
The Aggies can be ok with grinding out a win Sunday and maybe that may assist kickstart issues going ahead. But it surely’s most likely greatest to not attempt to extrapolate an excessive amount of from the weekend for both A&M or Tech. In each circumstances, this weekend was their first time enjoying away from dwelling and the event finale in Houston has a historical past of turning right into a bizarre recreation. Tech’s offense most likely isn’t pretty much as good because it seemed in its first 10 video games in Lubbock (when it averaged 10.3 runs per recreation) and A&M’s offense most likely will finally discover its gear towards high-level pitching.
Ultimately, you’ll most likely see each these groups enjoying vital baseball video games in June.
3. Florida once more gained its rivalry collection towards Miami. The groups break up the primary two video games—Florida profitable Friday, 10-4, and Miami bouncing again for a 14-6 win Saturday—earlier than the Gators routed the Hurricanes, 14-4, in eight innings Sunday. Florida jumped out to a 9-0 lead after three innings and by no means seemed again.
Below coach Kevin O’Sullivan, Florida has historically outpitched Miami and whereas it once more had the benefit on the mound, the Gators actually outclassed the Hurricanes with their offense. The 30 runs Florida scored this weekend are probably the most it has scored in a collection towards Miami because the groups adopted the present format in 2004.
Outfielder Wyatt Langford went 6-for-11 with three dwelling runs and scored seven runs on the weekend and is hitting .438/.554/.979 with six dwelling runs. Second baseman Cade Kurland went 6-for-14 and scored 5 runs and the freshman is now hitting .449/.500/.837 with 5 dwelling runs. First baseman/lefthander Jac Caglianone hit two dwelling runs, bringing his season whole to 10.
Florida is averaging 11.3 runs per recreation and has six regulars hitting higher than .300. Between the depth and energy the Gators boast, they’ve what seems like top-of-the-line lineups within the nation.
Proper now, nevertheless, the Gators want their offense to maintain slugging as a result of their pitching—particularly within the bullpen—has not been pretty much as good as anticipated. Miami scored 12 runs in eight innings towards Florida relievers—and that features 3.2 scoreless innings from lefthander Cade Fisher. Florida additionally break up a midweek home-and-home collection towards Jacksonville, giving up 18 runs within the course of. Seventeen of these runs got here within the 14 innings after starter Ryan Slater exited Tuesday’s win.
With Florida’s rotation of Brandon Sproat, Hurston Waldrep and Caglianone, the Gators can win numerous video games, no matter whether or not they put collectively an elite bullpen. However Florida goes to have to search out extra pitchers it will possibly belief in high-leverage innings. Florida has no scarcity of expertise within the bullpen, and, in time, O’Sullivan will discover the precise mixture. The Gators have another week to work on issues earlier than SEC play begins.
4. O’Sullivan has now coached 56 video games towards Miami—the equal of a full season—in his 16 seasons as Florida’s head coach. He’s 39-17 towards the Hurricanes, a .696 profitable share. O’Sullivan’s total profitable share at Florida is .676.
Florida’s domination of the rivalry below O’Sullivan is exceptional. Previous to his arrival in Gainesville, Miami led the all-time collection 117-93-1 (.555). Now, the Gators are profitable almost 70% of their video games towards the Hurricanes.
Contemplating that Miami has been to the Faculty World Sequence thrice throughout O’Sullivan’s tenure, it’s onerous to think about a extra lopsided rivalry proper now between two high-level school baseball groups.
5. Miami got here into the week trying to construct on its seven-game profitable streak with video games at Florida Atlantic and Florida. As an alternative, the Hurricanes went a disappointing 1-3 and now must rebuild momentum forward of the beginning of ACC play this weekend towards North Carolina State.
Miami misplaced, 6-5, at FAU on Tuesday in a recreation it led 5-4 on the stretch. It then gave up 30 runs on the weekend and by no means actually was in Sunday’s rubber recreation, which noticed Florida leap out to a 9-0 lead within the first three innings.
The Hurricanes must get their rotation proper in a rush. Sophomore righthander Gage Ziehl, who this season moved from the bullpen to the entrance of the rotation, is 1-2, 11.25 and opponents are hitting .397 towards him. Righthander Alejandro Rosario, the workforce’s No. 3 starter, is 1-1, 7.82 and is now 9-8, 6.25 in three years in Coral Gables. Sophomore righthander Karson Ligon (2-0, 3.20) has been stable on Saturdays for the Hurricanes, however he gave up six runs in six innings towards the Gators. This collection didn’t go effectively for any of the trio, however video games towards Penn State and Dartmouth have additionally been difficult over the past two weekends.
Miami has some actual brilliant spots within the early going—its Preseason All-American duo of Yohandy Morales (.467/.528/.867, 5 HR) and Andrew Walters (1-0, 0.00, 1 SV) are delivering in a giant method and freshmen Blake Cyr (.412/.474/.882, 5 HR) and Chris Scinta (1-0, 1.29) have made an instantaneous impression—but when they do not enhance their beginning pitching, the Hurricanes are in for a troublesome spring.
6. Traditionally, Dick Howser Stadium has been a fortress for Florida State. For 20 years, the Seminoles had not misplaced a weekend non-conference collection at dwelling. That streak, nevertheless, is over.
Florida Gulf Coast went to Tallahassee and gained a collection, turning into the primary workforce since Stanford in February 2002 to take action. The Eagles gained Friday’s opener, 10-8, and on Saturday clinched the collection with an 11-10 victory. Whereas FGCU (10-2) couldn’t end off the sweep Sunday, seeing its six-game profitable streak snapped, it nonetheless returned dwelling with an announcement collection win.
Every week in the past, Florida State’s pitching workers went on the highway and quieted TCU’s highly effective offense. Over the weekend, nevertheless, FGCU’s lineup was an excessive amount of for it. Alejandro Figueredo went 6-for-15 with two doubles and a house run and Harrison Povey went 5-for-14 with 4 doubles and a house run to cleared the path.
The Eagles are averaging 9.08 runs per recreation and have hit 26 dwelling runs in 12 video games. First baseman Joe Kinker (.420/.466/.760, 4 HR), second baseman Edrick Felix (.408/.464/.857, 6 HR) and Figueredo (.404/.500/.702) are all hitting above .400 to cleared the path and there’s sturdy depth to the lineup. The schedule hadn’t been imposing previous to this weekend, however FGCU confirmed it’s not a product of beating up on inferior pitching by scoring 29 runs in Tallahassee.
“That may be a bodily, skilled, powerful offensive workforce,” Florida State coach Hyperlink Jarrett stated. “I used to be very impressed. They’ve an older group, very skilled, very bodily.”
FGCU isn’t as imposing on the mound—it has a 5.03 workforce ERA—but it surely runs out a stable workers. Righthander Jason Woodward (2-0, 1.32) and lefthander Mason Miller (1-0, 3.38) make for an thrilling 1-2 punch and righthander LJ McDonough (0-0, 0.00, 3 SV), a switch from Wichita State, has locked down the again of the bullpen.
I included FGCU within the Preseason Projected Area of 64, believing the Eagles might cope with Liberty on the prime of the ASUN Convention. After this weekend, I’m feeling even higher about that prediction and FGCU is ranked for the primary time since 2017. This may very well be a enjoyable spring in Fort Myers.
7. So, what then, to make of Florida State? Every week after profitable a collection at TCU and excelling on the mound in Fort Value, the Seminoles got here dwelling and fought all of it week. They wanted 13 innings to beat South Florida on Wednesday after which gave up 29 runs in three video games to FGCU.
Jarrett stated this weekend that that is the thinnest pitching workers he’s had in 5 years, a time span that goes again to his time as coach at UNC Greensboro. This weekend, not one of the starters acquired greater than seven outs, forcing the Seminoles to lean on the bullpen an excessive amount of. Lefthander Wyatt Crowell threw 5.2 sturdy innings in reduction on Sunday to earn the win, however that’s not a sustainable path to success.
That’s coming off a weekend when it seemed like righthander Jackson Baumeister was able to take over as a real Friday starter. Clearly, there are nonetheless rising pains available in Tallahassee and a part of that’s almost the entire workers is pitching in new roles this spring. That’s okay—the Seminoles are a comparatively younger workforce with a brand new teaching workers—however ACC play begins this weekend with a collection towards Pittsburgh. Bouncing again rapidly from the collection loss will likely be vital.
“I discovered we nonetheless have so much to study,” Jarrett stated. “Our pitching workers is somewhat little bit of a piece in progress.”
8. It was the story of two collection over the weekend between Clemson and South Carolina. The Tigers gained at dwelling Friday night time, 5-2. In Saturday’s neutral-site recreation in Greenville, they led, 7-3, on the stretch. From there, nevertheless, the collection flipped towards the Gamecocks. South Carolina got here again to win, 11-9, after which claimed the rivalry collection with a 7-1 victory at dwelling within the rubber recreation.
South Carolina (11-1) over the weekend handed an essential check. It was 9-0 going into the collection however had performed nothing however dwelling video games towards an uninspiring slate. Penn, who South Carolina swept final weekend, final 12 months gained the Ivy League, however was enjoying its first video games of the season. In any other case, the Gamecocks’ opponents all had been final season within the backside half of RPI.
So, dealing with Clemson in considered one of school baseball’s greatest rivalry environments represented a step up for South Carolina. The Gamecocks additionally needed to face some adversity alongside the way in which, between Friday’s loss and Saturday’s deficit. They acquired the response they wanted to say an essential collection win.
“Friday night time was the primary little little bit of adversity that we needed to deal with this 12 months,” coach Mark Kingston stated. “I assumed how we handled it within the dugout on Friday night time after the sport was over was good. We simply stated, ‘It was a type of video games, come out able to go tomorrow.’ Clearly, for the primary six innings (Saturday) it wasn’t actually going our method, however we simply stored grinding and enjoying the sport the most effective that we might.”
9. I wrote about Clemson’s win Friday night time and what it’d imply. The Tigers (5-6) weren’t in a position to construct on that success to say the collection, however there are nonetheless positives to be taken from the weekend.
For the primary 14 innings of the weekend, Clemson held South Carolina to 2 runs. The Tigers did that with out righthander Ryan Ammons, who’s out for a number of weeks because of a forearm pressure, and first baseman/lefthander Caden Grice, who was in line to pitch Sunday till he was ejected Saturday for arguing balls and strikes, resulting in a suspension Sunday. Righthander Billy Barlow began Sunday, however has thrown simply three innings this season as he tries to work again to full well being after experiencing shoulder discomfort in January.
Clemson’s clearly somewhat quick on the mound proper now—not what you wish to be whereas dealing with the workforce that got here into the weekend with probably the most dwelling runs within the nation—but it surely dealt with the Gamecocks’ highly effective bats for many of the first two video games.
“I feel now we have some guys we will undoubtedly rely on on the mound,” coach Erik Bakich stated. “Austin Gordon and Tristan Smith, the way in which they pitched this weekend as starters with out Ryan Ammons obtainable for a pair weeks, they gave us the kind of begins to assist us win video games.”
Clemson has some issues to work on, which is to be anticipated. The Tigers have another week earlier than ACC play begins, however they’ll must hold discovering a method to enhance all season lengthy.
10. Southern Mississippi has had an up-and-down begin to the season. It began the 12 months with a sweep of Liberty earlier than dropping a house collection to Illinois. It dropped a wild, back-and-forth affair, 10-9, Tuesday towards Mississippi State in Pearl, Miss., and was 5-3 going into a tricky collection towards Dallas Baptist. Would the Golden Eagles be capable to bounce again or would their skid worsen?
Southern Miss bounced again in a giant method. It swept DBU in a low-scoring collection, profitable one-run video games on Friday and Saturday earlier than finishing the sweep with a comparatively stress-free, 7-2 victory. The Golden Eagles are actually 8-3 and personal sweeps of DBU and Liberty, each of that are constant NCAA Event groups.
It’s nonetheless very early and Southern Miss has but to play a highway recreation (although that adjustments Tuesday when it travels to Oxford), however the weekend’s sweep goes a protracted approach to exhibiting what sort of workforce the Golden Eagles will likely be this spring.
11. This was a tricky weekend for the Large Ten across the nation. There have been a number of brilliant spots—Nebraska went 2-1 on the Cambria Faculty Basic in Minneapolis and opened the occasion with a win towards Vanderbilt, Iowa improved to 9-1 and Ohio State beat Mississippi State and Oklahoma on the Frisco Faculty Basic—however issues are usually not wanting up for the convention popping out of the weekend.
Maryland, the reigning Large Ten champion and 2023 favourite, went 0-3 on the Cambria Faculty Basic to fall to 4-7 and drop out of the Prime 25. Rutgers, picked to complete second within the convention, was swept at UNC Greensboro and is 3-7. Michigan, the reigning Large Ten Event champion and perennial contender, went 0-3 on the Shriners Faculty Basic, was shut out twice and is 4-7. Indiana, one other perennial contender, went 1-2 on the Keith LeClair Basic in Greenville, N.C., and has but to have a profitable weekend. Minnesota and Northwestern each stay winless on the season and appear like they may very well be RPI anchors for the remainder of the convention.
It is early and the entire league has been on the highway for all however a pair midweeks (except for Minnesota). The Large Ten typically is sluggish out of the gates and a number of other of the groups taking over water early have performed aggressive schedules. 4 of Maryland’s seven losses, for example, have come towards Ole Miss or Vanderbilt.
However coming off a 12 months during which the Large Ten solely acquired two NCAA Event bids, its least since 2014, this type of begin isn’t what the convention wanted. It’s now missed on its greatest alternatives to make assertion wins and financial institution RPI credit score that might pay dividends all season lengthy. That’s to not say the convention is doomed to a different two-bid season, but it surely wants its contenders to proper the ship—and rapidly.
12. Whereas the Large Ten has floundered early, the Large West is again. Seven of the league’s 11 groups are above .500 within the early going. UC Santa Barbara and UC Irvine, the convention’s prime two groups coming into the 12 months, each have already got highway sweeps of Pac-12 faculties (UCSB at Oregon, UCI at Arizona State). Lengthy Seaside State went 3-0 within the LeClair Basic, Hawaii went 2-1 towards Large Ten competitors on the Cambria Faculty Basic and Cal State Fullerton gained a collection towards Texas.
The Large West has been a one-bid league in three of the final 4 NCAA Tournaments, however the early outcomes have it arrange for a greater spring.
13. UC Irvine has stormed out to a 10-1 begin on the season after sweeping Arizona State over the weekend in Phoenix Municipal Stadium. The Anteaters are off to their greatest begin since 2011, once they began 13-1, went on to win 43 video games and attain tremendous regionals.
UCI is rolling offensively within the early going. The Anteaters have gained 5 straight and have scored 62 runs in the course of the profitable streak. They’re averaging 8.82 runs per recreation on the season, a giant improve after averaging 5.96 runs per recreation in 2022.
Their offense gained’t run this scorching all season lengthy, however UCI seems extra harmful this season because of some key additions. Freshman first baseman Anthony Martinez (.386/.518/.841, 4 HR) has hit the bottom swinging for the Anteaters and is main the workforce in batting and slugging. Infielders Jo Oyama (.326/.407/.609, 4 SB) and Will Bermudez (.310/.444/.548), junior school transfers, have been a dynamic 1-2 punch on the prime of the lineup.
With the newcomers becoming a member of with returners like Dub Gleed (.273/.346/.341) and Caden Kendle (.286/.368/.531), the Anteaters all of a sudden have a deep, multi-faceted lineup. As a workforce, they’ve hit 12 dwelling runs, swiped 12 stolen bases and are exhibiting sturdy on-base abilities. The Anteaters appear like a workforce that may compete on the prime of the Large West and past.
14. Lengthy Seaside traveled greater than 5,000 miles spherical journey over the weekend to Greenville, N.C., one of many longest journeys any workforce will take this season. It was value it ultimately, because the Dirtbags (7-3) swept the LeClair Basic, incomes stable wins towards East Carolina, Indiana and Georgetown.
LBSU sandwiched routs of Georgetown (18-3) and Indiana (10-4) round a tense, 3-2 victory Saturday towards ECU. The Dirtbags beat righthander Carter Spivey, the 2022 American Athletic Convention Pitcher of the Yr, peppering him for 3 runs (two earned) on seven hits. Veteran lefthander Graham Osman pitched into the fifth for LBSU, but it surely was the bullpen that actually shined on the day, holding the Pirates scoreless for 4.2 innings to shut out the win. The bullpen was spectacular all weekend for LBSU. It allowed only one run on 11 hits and 5 walks in 14 innings.
LBSU has a 3.71 workforce ERA, the second-best mark within the Large West behind solely UCSB. The Dirtbags’ begin to the season on the mound is much more spectacular contemplating that they misplaced their prime seven pitchers by innings pitched from 2022. With a lot new, LBSU has used 17 pitchers already this season, as coach Eric Valenzuela will get a really feel for his new workers.
If the new-look Dirtbags’ workers can keep this degree because it will get into Large West play, the highest of the convention might begin to look fairly crowded between LBSU, UCSB and UCI.
15. Vanderbilt closed out the weekend on the Cambria Faculty Basic by no-hitting host Minnesota in a 4-0 win Sunday night time. Righthander Greysen Carter made his first profession weekend begin and threw the primary 3.1 innings. Righthander Sam Hliboki adopted with 3.2 innings of reduction. Lefthander Ryan Ginther threw the eighth inning and righthander Nick Maldonado closed the sport out.
Sunday marked the Commodores’ fourth no-hitter since 2019. Vanderbilt has now thrown a no-hitter in every of the final 4 full seasons, and it ought to come as no shock that it has extra no-hitters in that stretch than any workforce within the nation. Maybe extra impressively, all 4 no-hitters have come towards Energy 5 opponents (Duke, Missouri, Kentucky and Minnesota).
Whereas Sunday is a pleasant feather in Vanderbilt’s cap it doesn’t matter what occurs the remainder of the way in which, it might tackle larger significance if it will get Hliboki on observe after a number of powerful outings to open the season. He struck out eight of the 13 batters he confronted and has the potential to additional deepen the workers if he may be counted on in large spots or for prolonged outings.
16. Georgia (8-3) gained its rivalry collection towards Georgia Tech (10-2), profitable the primary two video games (one in Athens, one in Atlanta) earlier than falling in Sunday’s finale at Triple-A Gwinnett’s ballpark. The Bulldogs opened the 12 months 6-2 towards Jacksonville State, Princeton and Presbyterian, however this previous weekend was a a lot larger check.
The Bulldogs dealt with it effectively, getting stable begins from lefthanders Jaden Woods (6 IP, 0 R) and Liam Sullivan (5.1 IP, 2 R, 1 ER) within the wins. Offensively, redshirt freshman Charlie Condon stayed pink scorching. He’s hitting .538/.612/.974 with 4 dwelling runs to steer the Bulldogs. After taking an 0-for-4 on Opening Day, he’s 21-for-35 (.600) within the final 10 video games.
17. Connecticut got here into the weekend at 3-3 after splitting a four-game, impartial web site collection towards Ohio State on Opening Weekend after which having a recreation at California rained out final weekend. A tough collection at Florida Atlantic, which had misplaced simply as soon as and was coming off a win Tuesday towards Miami, was on faucet for the Huskies. In the event that they wished to begin to construct a possible at-large NCAA Event resume, they couldn’t afford to remain caught in first gear.
UConn rose to the problem and swept FAU in Boca Raton. The Huskies (6-3) by no means trailed within the collection, performed clear protection and went dwelling with three large wins. UConn gained’t begin Large East play till subsequent month, giving it loads of time to construct off the weekend.
Eight for Omaha
Florida, LSU, Louisville, Ole Miss, Stanford, Tennessee, TCU, Virginia Tech
I’m using with this eight for the third straight week. There are some issues for every workforce to work out within the early going, however they’re passing early checks. Issues determine to get extra fascinating subsequent week with a number of beginning convention play.
ACC play begins with a pair of Prime 25 showdowns. Convention play will get underway within the ACC, highlighted by No. 14 Virginia at No. 19 North Carolina and No. 21 North Carolina State at No. 17 Miami. Don’t sleep on Boston Faculty (8-1) visiting No. 11 Virginia Tech, nevertheless. The Eagles play at No. 5 Tennessee on Tuesday, however at the very least for now are on an eight-game profitable streak.
Convention play begins within the Pac-12. The convention doesn’t provide a Prime 25 collection to open the season, however No. 13 UCLA (9-2) at Oregon (8-3) and Washington State (10-1) at No. 15 Oregon State (9-2) make for an fascinating weekend within the Beaver State.
The week’s non-conference slate is highlighted by Iowa at No. 25 Texas Tech. The Hawkeyes (9-1) are enjoying like the most effective workforce within the Large Ten and are the one workforce to have crushed No. 1 LSU. The Pink Raiders (11-2) are smarting after a 1-2 weekend on the Shriners Faculty Basic however are undefeated at dwelling. These groups break up an abbreviated collection in Iowa Metropolis final 12 months, including to the intrigue.